Monday, May 20, 2013

Special

I enjoyed reading the comments on my previous post.  Since Lightning was a little puppy, I believed there was some herding dog somewhere in his genes.  He doesn't act like a Lab although there is a resemblance, especially in color, and then we did a DNA test that showed Lab and St. Bernard in the mix.  However, he is way too small boned to be either of those.  So, at this point, I conclude that he is the color of a yellow Lab, sheds like a St. Bernard, and acts like a herding dog.  I still don't have a guess for where those long legs and tail came from.  Lol.  Truly a mixed breed.  He's a special boy.

We had some time yesterday afternoon to get out in the yard and play.  Both dogs got a good brushing.  I hope I can reduce the tumbleweeds of dog hair that they've been leaving inside.  Then I got out one of the agility jumps.  Lightning perked up at the sight of it, and we practiced his jumping.  He was pretty good and never clipped a bar.  :)

I tried to get Thumper involved in the jumping game, but he does not understand it yet.  The last time I tried, he did the limbo UNDER the bar.  Yep - he's a dog who's used to crawling under fences to get out of the yard.  This time, he trotted up to it and then dodged it.  It was in the way of the path to his toy.  **sigh**   I'll just keep playing fetch with him and save the jumps for Lightning.  Every dog needs his special play time, doesn't he? 

2 comments:

  1. Sherri....
    Yeah, I have read that those dog breed DNA tests can be faulty. You must have the most accurate company. But I haven't a clue which one that is!! "Mystery Dogs"--like Rose!!--are the best kind of mutt!! Guessing her mix has been so much fun, and no DNA kit could make me love her more!! ;-D
    He's a special boy, indeed!! ;op
    --Raelyn and Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your last line is so true - yes, every dog does need their own special play time! As long as it is fun, it doesn't matter what it is, jumps or limbo.

    ReplyDelete